Basic Guide to Maintaining an Air Conditioning System and Avoiding Premature AC Repair
When it comes to owning an air conditioning system in your home, it is similar to maintaining other necessary machinery. Just like cars, ACs need regular maintenance and repairs to take care of minor and major issues. This basic guide will provide you with some tips on getting the most out of your AC and extending the system’s function, all the while helping you avoid premature AC repair.
Bare Necessities to Avoid AC Repair
- Change the Filter – In order to get the most out of your air conditioning system, a general rule is to change the filter on a monthly basis. This helps deter any clogs that may occur and decrease the effectiveness of the system. If filter clogging does occur, it will cause the fans to work at below-optimum performance and can also cause overheating. So remember to change those filters once a month. If you haven’t done this in months (or ever), go ahead and change them immediately.
- Keep the Area Around the Unit Clean – Because the air conditioning system is design to allow air in effortlessly, it is possible for any debris, grass, and leaves to get sucked into the system. Debris can also collect on the outside of the system and hinder air from entering the system or letting it breathe. Keeping an area of about 6 inches around the unit clean from any type of vegetation will help avoid possible issues. If the area around the outside unit is clear but you’re still having issues with your unit, contact Peaden for an AC repair.
- Turn Off Humidifiers – If you have a humidifier, it is very advisable to turn it off while operating the AC. Having the humidifier on will increase the need for more cool air to circulate, requiring your unit to work harder.
- Schedule Regular Maintenance – Regularly scheduling professional maintenance will allow AC repair technicians to check up on your system and all of its components. A maintenance tech will do certain things to ensure proper working order, such as making sure there aren’t any clogs, cleaning any coils, and measuring the Freon levels. The technician may point out any minor problems that can be taken care of quickly to help avoid a more costly AC repair in the future.
- Be Aware of Irregularities – Irregularities, such as the air conditioning system not maintaining a comfortable temperature or strange noises coming from the unit, may indicate problems that should immediately be addressed by an AC repair specialist. Be aware of how your unit works and sounds normally so that you can catch any irregularities quickly.
Following this very basic guide will help you get the most out of your air conditioning system and help it provide you with optimal cooling whenever you need it. For more information about AC repair and maintenance, or to schedule an appointment with an AC repair specialist, contact Peaden today!
& Sewer expires 10/31/2021